From March to August 2017, Fund 17 led an extensive door-to-door surveying effort in a study area in the 7th and 8th wards. Our goal: identify, map and understand community enterprise. How are people making their livings and what role does entrepreneurship play in it all? We were particularly interested in informal businesses, or enterprises that have not been legally formalized.
The study area:
In the report you will learn:
- the entrepreneurship rate for the area
- demographic and financial trends for entrepreneurship in the area
- attitudes towards formalization of informal businesses
- challenges community enterprises face
- recommendations for establishing an equitable and accessible entrepreneurship space